The LANWin Network Management Utilities are a combination of scripts and programs authored by Logical Developments to work with Microsoft Networks to simplify the day-to-day maintenance demands that any network places on System Administrators.
LANWin’s primary program is executed by LAN workstations during logon. It is among the very first programs run by the workstation, therefore offers a unique “window of opportunity” for protection and maintenance of the computer without requiring baby-sitting. Most of the network functions handled by LANWin operate in “stealth mode” – underneath the radar screen of the user. With Stealth Mode, users are not able to “opt” to cancel important update operations and are rarely (unless you wish to configure LANWin to tell them) even aware their system has been updated at all. During logon, LANWin manages many administrative functions such as:
* Centralized control for workstation-related network functions, reducing maintenance for the System Administrator and saving trips to the individual desktops.
* Establishes standardized network drive mappings across the network.
* Supports additional “personalized” network drive mappings for either specific machines or users (roaming capability), or combination of both.
* Global “Bulletin Board” features deliver messages to users during the logon process from a centrally controlled system.
* Audits of workstations are automatically performed (with appropriate software) – completely automated and unobtrusive. Resulting inventory reports inform system administrators proactively of potential issues and changes to the workstations such as program installations or hardware changes.
* Auto Support function provides a “one-click” method for users to report issues to a Support Desk web form, which can be activated for a period of time determined by the System Administrator following system maintenance or upgrades.
* Automatic LANWin version rollouts to keep systems synchronized.
LANWin is available in two versions. The Pro version supports all functions available in Standard and adds the following features.
* Tasks by PC automates common maintenance chores such as verifying file system integrity, disk defrag, free space checks and temporary file clearing on all Windows platforms (Win9x, W2K, Win XP, Vista). This process includes an automatic inform feature to the System Administrator and/or Support if a problem is detected.
* Tasks by User reminds specific users by Popup Message and/or by eMail of tasks assigned to them, such as changing backup tapes, verifying success of backup jobs, running cleaning tapes, as well as System Administrator duties, like server verification, free space, emergency recovery updates, and others. Reminder copies to users can be eMailed to the System Administrator as desired. Up to 99 Reminder Tasks can be created and include a URL for further information to the target user.
* Both the Support eMail address and the Support Form URL can be configured.
* Supports script, batch file or program execution for specific machines or users (often used to deliver copies of files (card files, data files and even programs) to chosen workstations from network masters).
* Auto-Inform function to notify the System Administrator of Support Requests made by their users, unusual LAN activities, and for automated Inventory Report updates.
LANWin provides a level of logon control designed to help the System Administrator manage their network and to automate the more tedious tasks involved by keeping workstations tuned and up-to-date. Logical Developments’ LANWin software runs across any Microsoft Network configuration. The core server may be Windows XP, Windows 2000 (all Servers and Pro), NT (Server and Workstation) or even Window 9x. LANWin will impart the same “look and feel” across all configurations. Workstations may be Windows 9x (95 through ME), NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP or any mixture of platforms on the same LAN, provided the computer supports the Microsoft Scripting Engine that powers the LANWin network management utilities.